With the summer waning what better way to enjoy ourselves but with a refreshing sour cocktail, and even more-so a whiskey sour. If you’re not one for whiskey (either scotch or bourbon), this one may actually surprise you and take the edge off with it’s fruity and edgy-kick of lemon and Angostura bitters.
It’s a fantastic Summer drink that is smooth to sip and delicious! The whiskey we’ll be using is the multi-purpose Jack Daniels Old No. 7, that was kindly gifted. Compared to scotch whisky (note the different spelling between scotch & bourbon), bourbons often have slightly sweet bases which make them perfect for cocktails such as these.
But let’s get into the recipe. It’s very simple.
- 50ml Jack Daniels Old No. 7
- 25ml Lemon Juice
- 15ml Sugar Syrup
- 2-3 Dashes of Angostura Bitters
- Cocktail Shaker
- Put the ice-cubes in the cocktail shaker, followed by the Jack, the lemon juice, the Angostura Bitters and the sugar syrup. (If you can’t find sugar syrup in any shops or online, this guide can show you how to make this bar-staple)
- Put the shaker-lid on tightly and shake until condensation is visible over the whole shaker.
- Remove the small lid and strain straight into a glass.
- Garnish with some lemon zest.
I’d love to hear in the comments of what sorts of cocktails you all like the most, and if you’ve tried the whiskey sour, what you thought about it!
Until next time!
Please drink responsibly.